Tuesday, January 14, 2014

19 - Palmas 2

Everything is going great. Palmas is very similar to my first area, Coba, so it wasn't much of a transition for me. There is actually a lot of activity in this area. The last missionaries found a lot of investigators that we have been picking up on. Plus, my companion used to work in this area a few transfers before and he has been looking up a lot of his old investigators and adding them to the list. Super busy. I'm ready to drop by the time we get back to the house.

My companion has been working out great. Elder Quarez has worked in this area for a long time before and has been introducing me to everyone and everything. He is American, but I asked him to speak to me only in Spanish so that I can learn and he has been really good about that. I would describe him and his personality a little similar to Spencer Walker in the way he talks and everything (he actually looks a lot like him). But everything has been working out great.

There is a very big ward in this area with a lot of active priesthood leaders. We also have a lot of progressing investigators going to church and everything. There is this one family who we are teaching who is accepting everything and also has been asking a lot of good questions. Although, one of the biggest struggles for them is with giving up tea. They drink a lot of tea because the mom owns a small tea business. But they have been really active with the ward and everything.

Palmas is the very western end of the city. The city is divided up into regions and they call the region where I live Tierra Maya. There is a Chedraui store around the corner from our house. It's pretty much the Mexican version of Walmart. In some parts there are a lot of apartment buildings, and in other parts there are a lot of small stores.

My spiritual thought this week comes from the scripture Helaman 5:12.

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

That is a powerful promise in this scripture. If we look to Christ in our thoughts and our works, I know that we can overcome or stand up against any temptation, trial, weakness, or difficulty. I know it and testify of that.

Until later,
Elder Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment