Tuesday, October 15, 2013

06 - Coba 1

Hey, I made it.  Sure, the security in Salt Lake City gave me a hard time*, but I made it.  I love the mission so far.  President Kirkham is an awesome guy.  He is very energetic and loves everyone here.  I don't have my camera with me right now, but I'll be sure to send pictures next week.  

I've been assigned to the area of Coba.  It's a section of the main city of Cancún.  There are three areas in Cancún, and about five more outside of the city.  My companion is Elder Gonzalez, he is a native to Mexico and doesn't speak very much English.  He has been helping me a lot with the Spanish.  My Spanish isn't that fluent, but according to the other elders, after a few months I should be fluent.  I haven't been here very long, but the area surprised me in many ways.  Most of the people don't have much, but because of their circumstances, they are very humble and have amazing faith and a great capacity to love.  They love you before you even greet yourself.  
  
Out here in the mission, one of the most important things to have while teaching is the Holy Ghost.  The Holy Spirit plays a great part in the conversion of the investigator.  It has often been referred to as the missionary's third companion.  True conversion can only come with the Spirit testifying in the heart of the investigator.  Every member should always strive to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost.
  
Well, that's all for now.  I'll be sure to send lots of pictures next week. 

Hasta luego,
Elder Bailey  

*The security scanners picked up something on his hands and shoes; turns out, he had polished his shoes the night before, and some shoe polishes give off the same vapors as explosives.  They ended up doing a full-blown security inspection because of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment